They cover the global requirements of ISO 13849, IEC 61508, IEC 62061 and the European Machinery Directive. Defining the design and proof requirements needed by maintenance staff, technicians and safety engineers to ensure machine applications are free from unacceptable risk. They also provide an opportunity for those with machinery safety knowledge to prove their expertise.
How long are the courses?
The CFSAT is run over two and a half days and the CFSAE course is five days.
What are the learning outcomes?
On completion of the CFSAT course, you will be able to:
- Check of the correct mechanical and electrical installation of protective devices
- Evaluate and verify protective devices according to a specification
- Identify hazards
- Give advice on protective devices
- Support of the purchase department to specify the safety related requirements for machines and production lines
- Propose actions to maintain the safety of machinery
- Recognise safety related impairments for machine operators and lack of machine safety
On completion of the CFSAE course, you will:
- Have an in-depth understanding of the standards addressing functional safety of machinery
- Be able to review, select and integrate protective devices to effectively reduce hazards associated with machinery including complete circuit and schematic requirements
- Be able to analyse and carry out the technical measures required for risk reduction such as, identification of faults and their root causes, potential weak areas and the reliability of protective systems
- Perform calculations, define a validation plan, and complete documentation according to ISO 13849 and IEC 62061
- Have the knowledge and understanding that is needed to take the Functional Safety Application Expert examination
Who should attend?
The CFSAT Course is aimed at Maintenance Service and Maintenance staff, Safety officers, System integrators and Designers with basic level knowledge of machinery safety.
The CFSAE Course is for Machine builders, systems integrators, developers and applications engineers with responsibility for machinery safety and have a comprehensive knowledge of machinery safety.
What are the eligibility requirements?
When you book on your chosen course you will need to fill in the 'Eligibility Requirements Form' to show the following:
For the CFSAT course you will need to have
- At least 2 years of work experience with industrial machinery.
- Basic knowledge in automation technology and familiar with the requirements of electrical safety
- Basic knowledge in functional safety standards and regulations
For the CFSAE course you will need
- Professional experience in functional safety
- Existing working knowledge of functional safety standards and best practices
- Comprehensive knowledge of the following regulations: ISO 13849, IEC 61508, IEC 62061
- Experience and understanding in the field of functional safety management
- Practical experience in the quantification of PL and SIL
Is the exam part of the course?
No. The exam is optional but if you do choose to complete it, you will take it after you have finished the course.